Friday, June 12, 2009

Back Porch

I'm furloughed from work today. One Friday every pay period. This morning Sarah and I went to the zoo. The air was so muggy and close we were both dripping with sweat minutes into the park. The animals lay sleeping in shade or had disappeared entirely into their cages. The heat was so thick and close you knew it would storm later. Now we are home and showered and changed. I'm sitting on the back porch watching torrential rain from a black sky. The peals of thunder are very close. The lightening is shock flashes that illuminates everything at no greater distance than the yard. The air is so cool Sarah made us coffee. I'll sit here, just at the edge of the mist on the wind, and drink coffee and read. But not before reminding myself that this porch is my favorite place in the world.

No comments:

About Me

Little Rock, Arkansas
I work at a local museum, date a lovely boy, and with my free time procrastinate on things like blogs.