Monday, July 20, 2009

Treasure Hunt

The Main Library downtown had another book sale this last weekend. Paul belongs to FOCAL (Friends of Central Arkansas Libraries) and here is his spring/summer haul:

If I ever read Ulysses I'm borrowing this copy off Paul. I've also never read Moby Dick. Boo Hiss

A travel memoir written by a nun?

For me

Same Allsopp as in Allsopp Park? The family also had a bookstore? I wish it were still around

Ivanhoe...

...which used to belong to the women's college in Searcy, which later joined with Paul's Alma Mater to form Hendrix. I wonder what happened to the campus

Emerson must have been read more in schools a few generations back. Used copies of his work are always half a century old

Never read Last of the Mohicans without the N C Wyeth plates. To get through you will want the pictures

A soldier's gift. How apropos. Adventure + torrid romance

How did Paul emerge for the FOCAL crowd scrum with two Scribners Classics?

A history of the Arkansas river

A first printing if not a first edition

Nice dated typeface

He likes Ulysses

and old paperbacks

Catch-22 is everywhere in that printing of about a decade ago. I've never seen this paperback edition before

Wild! Moving! Shocking! and this is your bookplate. No matter how modish or mocking your novel, don't underestimate the power of the American bourgeoisie to domesticate it.

No comments:

About Me

Little Rock, Arkansas
I work at a local museum, date a lovely boy, and with my free time procrastinate on things like blogs.