Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Debate Tonight

I would like to hear about the economy. I don't want to hear about Ayers. I don't want to hear about the Keating Five. I even don't want to hear about who is most to blame for the current financial crisis, although it is an important topic. What I really want to hear is what in the world is going on now. I want someone to explain to me with some fluency of detail the larger picture, the longer view, and what the implications are for government. I realize neither candidate is an expert on economics, but both are supposedly experts on governance. The impression I get is that both these guys are thrashing around for a rubric to deal, are susceptible to flurries of new legislation, and to the extent that there are guiding principles here they are husks of phrases out of each sides' ideological grab-bags. Can someone please explain to me carefully why whatever language they have decided on should apply? Can someone please integrate their uncertainties with their core verities and show me how those would interact in the come-what-may future? Please no populist thumping over "elites." Please no pure hand wringing over "greed." Please show me the groundwork of how you think and why you plan to act as you do. That would help.

No comments:

About Me

Little Rock, Arkansas
I work at a local museum, date a lovely boy, and with my free time procrastinate on things like blogs.