Thursday, July 10, 2008

Data Entry Doldrums

Less than enthused about going into work this morning. Yesterday somewhere around the two hundred and forty-six-ish entry I had the bitter reflection that higher education was supposed to spare you from this sort of work, n'est pas? But for various reasons I can't farm it out to an intern. I love my job for its variety, it's just that once a year that variety includes processing hundreds of entries for our annual juried competition. Silver lining: you come across some fairly interesting stuff recording the vital stats on the artistic offerings of seven states. Black cloud: you have to record the vital stats on the artistic offerings of seven states.

Data Entry Survival Pack

1. My near 'n dear Tivoli radio
Gives me NPR for as many unending hours as I need it. Can sync with my ipod. Say no more.

2. Podcasts
Now every morning I load my ipod up with as much free stuff as it can hold. Some early hits:

Start the Week with Andrew Marr: a BBC RadioFour roundtable that is remarkably good, where a varying cast of three or four individuals sit around once a week and discuss each others newest work. I'd listen just to hear Marr segue between topics.

12 Byzantine Rulers: gripping and bloody and completely perspective shifting, perfect for data entry

BBC Farming Today: they have been debating culling badgers for three days now

No comments:

About Me

Little Rock, Arkansas
I work at a local museum, date a lovely boy, and with my free time procrastinate on things like blogs.