Saturday, July 12, 2008

Simmer on Low

J is from Maine. She has been in Arkansas ten years, but originally she is from Maine. "You have to have grown up here," she said. We were at the River Market taking a break from the hot press of the morning veggie hunters.

"I love the heat, I love the humidity," said D. This surprised me as even Arkansans don't often say they love the humidity, but I knew what she meant after a minute. "In the winter my skin just shrivels up," D continued.

"I love porches," I said. "I love being in the shade in the heat."

I am on a porch now. The air is still and hot. It is the enveloping of the element that you miss in summers elsewhere. The way it wraps you up. How you are still in it so as to live with it. Not moving to fast. It is almost five in the evening now. There is thunder in the distance. I think it is going to storm.

No comments:

About Me

Little Rock, Arkansas
I work at a local museum, date a lovely boy, and with my free time procrastinate on things like blogs.